Definition of reef-builder in English:
A marine organism, especially a coral, that builds reefs.
- The calcareous algae, stromatoporoids, tabulate corals, and rugose corals became conspicuous reef-builders throughout the tropical seas.
- They were rarely reef-builders as modern corals are.
- However, the publication of monographs by Marius Lecompte, Jesse Galloway and by Galloway and Joseph St. Jean increased interest in the classification, paleoecology, and nature of these reef-builders.
- Example sentences
- I've been looking at how seawater warming events have influenced the types of algal symbionts that are found inside reef-building corals.
- The Barrier Reef is a mix of two island forms: continental islands and the true coral islands that grow from the reef-building activities of corals.
- This ecosystem is a diverse habitat for marine creatures, with around 600 types of reef-building corals and more than 2,000 kinds of coral reefs.
Definition of reef-builder in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan