Definition of regency in English:
noun (plural regencies)
1The office or period of government by a regent.
- A contributory factor to the Wars of the Roses was another period of regency caused not by the king's age, but by his insanity.
- He believed that the Liberals were in a better position to weather the regency of Alfonso's widow and prevent Carlist or republican revolts.
- An earlier chapter provides the reader with background on the Norman ascendancy through the regency of Adelaide.
1.1A commission acting as regent.
- When her mother was eventually forced out of the regency, the reigning government saw fit to have Isabella confirmed as a fully independent queen when she was just 13.
- One of the weaknesses of a hereditary monarchy is the possibility of having a monarch who is too young to rule, requiring a regency or protectorate to govern in his name.
- But this could only occur once the charter was brought back to life as a royalist manifesto after John's death by the regency government of Henry III.
adjective(Regency) Back to top
Relating to or denoting British architecture, clothing, and furniture of the Regency or, more widely, of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Regency style was contemporary with the Empire style and shares many of its features: elaborate and ornate, it is generally neoclassical, with a generous borrowing of Greek and Egyptian motifs.
- In the same decade major acquisitions of furniture by the Regency designer George Bullock were made.
- Standard features include Regency panelled doors, canopy style porches and patio doors to the rear garden.
- England's Regency style was a natural outgrowth of the neoclassical style that prevailed in eighteenth-century Europe.
Definition of regency in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan