- 1Occupying the throne; ruling: the official residence of the reigning monarchMore example sentences
- The 22 nd of January 2001 marked the centenary of the death of Queen Victoria, the longest reigning British monarch.
- With Paul III there was the like family concern, to see his son, Pierluigi, established among the reigning families of Europe.
- In 1254, local landowner Richard Rochelle was granted a charter to hold a market in the village from the reigning monarch of the day, Henry III.
- 1.1Currently holding a particular title in sports: the reigning National League championsMore example sentences
- Guiseley made up for the previous week's disappointment by taking four points from a drawn game with reigning champions Bilton.
- Flitcroft was sold by City in March 1996 for £ 3.2m to the then reigning Premiership Champions Blackburn Rovers.
- A 24-year-old Brazilian, Junqueira is the reigning Formula 3000 champion.