- The doctrine that knowledge, truth, and morality exist in relation to culture, society, or historical context, and are not absolute.More example sentences
- However, the distinction here is between absolutism and relativism, not between absolutism and relationalism.
- However, relativism is a philosophical doctrine that goes far beyond such obvious facts.
- Wittgenstein sometimes appears to be committed to cognitive relativism as just described.
- More example sentences
- Cognitive relativists do not simply assert that different cultures or communities have different views about which beliefs are true; no-one disputes that.
- In this respect, the relativist is like the philosophical sceptic.
- Perhaps because relativism is associated with such views, few philosophers are willing to describe themselves as relativists.
More definitions of relativismDefinition of relativism in:
- The British & World English dictionary