Definition of relativize in English:
verb[with object] chiefly Linguistics & Philosophy
1Make or treat as relative to or dependent on something else.
- For example, moral subjectivism is that species of moral relativism that relativizes moral value to the individual subject.
- I arrive at the conclusion that it is a symptom of a more general phenomenon whereby contextual parameters can be relativized to bearers of propositional attitudes.
- It is not the same, since truth for Hellenistic philosophers is relativized to times.
1.1 Grammar & Linguistics Make into a relative clause.
- The subjects were given a pre-test on combining two sentences into one sentence containing a relative clause where either the subject, object, or object of a preposition was the relativized noun phrase.
- In Dakelh a relative clause follows the head noun. there is no complementizer, but the verb optionally takes a relativizing suffix.
- There are a number of languages that relativize upon obliques by employing the relative pronoun strategy.
1.2 Physics Treat (a phenomenon or concept) according to the principles of the theory of relativity.
- It only takes a cursory look at Einstein's calculations to see that this attempt to relativize rotation is a nonstarter.
- The bare facts of Einstein's initiation into the problem of relativizing gravitation theory are known.
- Example sentences
- In effect, this approach amounts to a relativisation of growth.
- And as this community broadens in spread and significance, we are effectively implicated in the relativization of the rest who remain on the outside of its borders.
- For many, Darwin's theory led to a pure relativization and naturalization of ethics.
Words that rhyme with relativizesupervise • improvise
Definition of relativize in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan