noun (plural reliquaries)
- A container for holy relics.More example sentences
- As the importance of saints and their relics increased, reliquaries and image-bearing objects, such as small statues, began to be placed upon the altar.
- Thus, when the reliquary was exhibited from the outdoor pulpit on feast days sacred to the Virgin Mary, a strong visual bond between the reliquary and the church in which it was kept could be discerned.
- The exhibition highlights aspects of Roman Catholic religious traditions and includes relics and reliquaries, religious artefacts, and an insight into the practices of the Sisters of Mercy.
mid 16th century: from French reliquaire, from Old French relique (see relic).
More definitions of reliquaryDefinition of reliquary in:
- The British & World English dictionary