verb[with object and complement]
- Give a new name to (someone or something): after independence Celebes was renamed SulawesiMore example sentences
- The city is loath to rename an existing street name and has offered a small park outside of the Papineau metro as an alternative.
- At some point it was officially renamed Jinnah Road, but the old name persists.
- Now a member of parliament proposes a motion - that is more drastic - to rename towns and cities with their pre-colonial names.
More definitions of renameDefinition of rename in:
- The British & World English dictionary