1(Of a firearm) capable of firing several shots in succession without reloading.
- A man firing a repeating rifle faces a man wielding a sword.
- Lockhart's sidekick Charley, a half-Apache, has gone to question his relatives about the repeating rifles being sold to them in the area.
- The columns shift in a laterally repeating rainbow sequence of 50 colors taken from an ink-marker assortment on a white ground.
2(Of a pattern) recurring uniformly over a surface.
- They are designed to be cut at regular intervals (often indicated by a vertical row of a small scissors included in the repeating pattern), resulting in scarves of a standard size.
- Various framing devices - decorative elements or fan shapes - set off the central images, and repeating patterns often give the effect of looking through a kaleidoscope.
- What seems a random pattern of painstakingly rendered cuts in the paper is in fact a nine-times repeating pattern made from a rubber matrix print containing the Pollock-like marks.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of repeating in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.