1The action or process of replacing someone or something: the replacement of religion by poetry a hip replacement
More example sentences
- In spite of three hip replacements, Adams manages to visit his local pub to play piquet most evenings and continues to write.
- Private patients regularly skip the queue to obtain private treatment in public hospitals for elective operations such as cataracts, hip replacements and heart bypass operations.
- His choreographic style has influenced twentieth century dance but the pendulum shows signs of swinging away from hyper-extensions - and multiple hip replacements.
1.1A person or thing that takes the place of another.
- What is an understudy or replacement to do when he takes over a role vacated by a star?
- The range covers the full spectrum from ultraportable to desktop replacement, hitting all price points along the way.
- Other cousins, replacements for my Polish uncles, stood around the keg with cups of beer.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.