Definition of replica in English:
1An exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale: a replica of the Empire State Building
More example sentences
- The primer-gray monuments are one-third scale replicas of existing commemorative markers scattered throughout the U.S.
- The styles of the canonical masters, as transmitted through tracing copies and replicas, may thus be considered a kind of DNA imprint from which all subsequent idioms emerge.
- Scale is a ceramic replica of a bathroom scale - impossible to use, for it would surely break under anyone's weight - imprinted by two feet, one of which has left behind its five toes.
1.1A duplicate of an original artistic work.
- Once the resin hardened, it was removed to provide an exact replica of the bas relief.
- As these are works in a substantially different key from the canvases present in Chicago, a strong case could have been made for their inclusion in replica form insofar as replicas dotted the exhibition.
- In replicating his art, and offering the replica as art, the atom of the original artwork was split.
Mid 18th century (as a musical term in the sense 'a repeat'): from Italian, from replicare 'to reply'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.