Definition of replica in English:
1An exact copy or model of something, especially one on a smaller scale: a replica of the Empire State Building
More example sentences
- The primer-gray monuments are one-third scale replicas of existing commemorative markers scattered throughout the U.S.
- The styles of the canonical masters, as transmitted through tracing copies and replicas, may thus be considered a kind of DNA imprint from which all subsequent idioms emerge.
- Scale is a ceramic replica of a bathroom scale - impossible to use, for it would surely break under anyone's weight - imprinted by two feet, one of which has left behind its five toes.
1.1A duplicate of an original artistic work.
- Once the resin hardened, it was removed to provide an exact replica of the bas relief.
- As these are works in a substantially different key from the canvases present in Chicago, a strong case could have been made for their inclusion in replica form insofar as replicas dotted the exhibition.
- In replicating his art, and offering the replica as art, the atom of the original artwork was split.
mid 18th century (as a musical term in the sense 'a repeat'): from Italian, from replicare 'to reply'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan