Definition of representationalism in English:
1The practice or advocacy of representational art.
- George Maciunas has emphasized the importance of their work, expounding a theory against representationalism in art, semiotics, illusionism, and abstraction.
- The earliest representation of the Buddha in the exhibition is a breathtakingly beautiful import from Gandhara with its echo of Hellenistic representationalism.
- As an artist who gained prominence in the turbulent and exciting 1960s, he was instrumental in the transition from abstract expressionism toward a return to the object and representationalism.
2 Philosophy another term for representationism.
- In ‘Bergson's Conception of Difference,’ Deleuze unfolds Bergson's potential as a critic of representationalism, reconcilable with Nietzsche and as an alternative to Heidegger.
- As emphasized above, Berkeley's campaign against matter, as he presents it in the Principles, is directed against materialist representationalism and presupposes representationalism.
- It combines elements of both representationalism and higher-order theory but does so in a way that varies interestingly from the more standard versions of either.
- Example sentences
- Unlike many other representationalists of the '90s, the artist relies for inspiration not on photos of the site but on her memories of a place.
- It should be clear that Husserl's critique of representationalist views of perception which we examined earlier bars this particular route to idealism.
- Early representationalists combined a psychological claim about the mental particulars that mediate our perceptions with an epistemological claim to the effect that only mental things can be perceived.
Definition of representationalism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.