1(Of a form of government, constitution, etc.) belonging to, or characteristic of a republic.
- This burden threatened to sink the new republican government, indeed the whole democratic experiment.
- Their God could act providentially, and their religious beliefs helped to shape their faith in republican government and the natural law that, in their view, underlay its principles.
- For the Earls of Southampton and Essex and for many literate English Protestants, Venice was the model of republican government, the alternative to monarchy for disaffected subjects of Elizabeth.
1.1Advocating or supporting republican government: the republican movement
More example sentences
- For all the fierceness of his republican beliefs, he has repeatedly stated his willingness to talk to the killers of his father and brother.
- European republican ideas (leaving aside those of the country's original inhabitants), would have arrived around the time of the First Fleet's 1788 landing at Botany Bay, Sydney.
- Tax relief adds to that, the idea that taxation is an affliction, and that's a republican idea.
1A person advocating or supporting republican government.
- Third, the monarchists did not win the November 6 referendum: the republicans lost it.
- This position was anathema to traditional republicans, since it postulated that reform of the State was possible.
- Over the course of this comparison, it will also become clear that because Milton differs from the republicans on this issue, he also differs from them on other major issues.
2 (Republican) A member or supporter of the Republican Party.
- Neal says he believes more than 300 members of the House will support his bill if Republicans allow it to reach the floor.
- Probably no union leader can boast the support of more high-profile Republicans than Mr. Miller.
- The Bush administration and Republicans support the consumer-driven health care plans, McArdle said.
Definition of republican in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.