noun (plural same)Christian Church
- An ornamental screen covering the wall at the back of an altar.More example sentences
- Among the main features of the interior are the magnificent rood screen, reredos and font canopy of Frosterley marble.
- The sanctuary is emphasised by marble steps, a stone reredos and an altar enriched with candlesticks and an impressive blue enamelled altar cross.
- Facing the altar, the reredos overwhelm the viewer's vision with rows upon rows of imposing carved saints and prophets.
late Middle English: from Anglo-Norman French, from Old French areredos, from arere 'behind' + dos 'back'.
More definitions of reredosDefinition of reredos in:
- The British & World English dictionary