Definition of residue in English:
1A small amount of something that remains after the main part has gone or been taken or used.
- Even when canned vegetables are rinsed small amounts of the residue remain.
- As a result, it is almost impossible to know the amount of pesticide residues on supermarket produce.
- Runoff and erosion decrease as the amount of residue remaining on the surface increases.
1.1 Law The part of an estate that is left after the payment of charges, debts, and bequests.
- By her will the deceased left you the residue of her estate.
- Thus, there was an intestacy with respect to the residue of the Estate.
- One assumes it was intended to fall into the residue of the Estate, but this is simply another drafting problem with these two clauses in the Will.
1.2A substance that remains after a process such as combustion or evaporation.
- When heated this produces methane gas and a solid residue of sodium carbonate.
- Oxidation of amino acid residues in proteins is known to alter their functional properties.
- Steam distillation or chromatography of wood and wood residues can release terpenes.
Words that rhyme with residueavenue • impromptu • shoyu
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan