- 1A small amount of something that remains after the main part has gone or been taken or used.More example sentences
- Even when canned vegetables are rinsed small amounts of the residue remain.
- As a result, it is almost impossible to know the amount of pesticide residues on supermarket produce.
- Runoff and erosion decrease as the amount of residue remaining on the surface increases.
- 1.1 Law The part of an estate that is left after the payment of charges, debts, and bequests.More example sentences
- By her will the deceased left you the residue of her estate.
- Thus, there was an intestacy with respect to the residue of the Estate.
- One assumes it was intended to fall into the residue of the Estate, but this is simply another drafting problem with these two clauses in the Will.
- 1.2A substance that remains after a process such as combustion or evaporation.More example sentences
- When heated this produces methane gas and a solid residue of sodium carbonate.
- Oxidation of amino acid residues in proteins is known to alter their functional properties.
- Steam distillation or chromatography of wood and wood residues can release terpenes.
late Middle English: from Old French residu, from Latin residuum 'something remaining' (see residuum).