- 1The ability of an optical instrument or type of film to separate or distinguish small or closely adjacent images.More example sentences
- The city's skyscrapers give the landscape a lumpy appearance, but the instrument's resolving power fails to distinguish individual buildings.
- He did not need enormous magnification, but he did require considerable resolving power in order to make out the separate stars.
- In other words, a telescope must have sufficient resolving power to distinguish individual Cepheids from all the other stars in the galaxy.
More definitions of resolving powerDefinition of resolving power in:
- The British & World English dictionary