Definition of resorcinol in English:
A crystalline compound originally obtained from galbanum resin, used in the production of dyes, resins, and cosmetics.
- Alternative name: 1,3-dihydroxybenzene; chemical formula: C6H4(OH)2
- We selected five compounds, genistein, metaproterenol, rotenone, p-anisidine and resorcinol, that had extensive genotoxicity and carcinogenicity data and tested them in the standard 7 day exposure SHE assay.
- The entropic penalty is greater for the drugs than for benzene and resorcinol, perhaps because the latter possess fewer degrees of freedom that can be restricted upon binding.
- The subsequently developed resorcinol analogue, orciprenaline, was longer acting, albeit less potent, but clearly neither of them was an ideal drug.
Late 19th century: from the earlier term resorcin + -ol.
Definition of resorcinol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.