1The action of breathing: opiates affect respiration
More example sentences
- Every aspect of life depends on muscular activity, whether it be speech, eating and digestion, respiration, all expressions of brain function.
- Blood pressure and respiration are checked every five minutes, and the patient's temperature also is recorded.
- The effects of sleep on respiration include changes in central respiratory control, airways resistance, and muscular contractility.
1.1chiefly Medicine A single breath.
- Before and after each administration of salmeterol or placebo, patients were assessed for heart rate, respirations, and breath sounds.
- In the respiratory form, sinus arrhythmia typically varies with respirations, and the heart rate (RR interval) increases with inspiration and decreases with expiration.
- By using opiate analgesics and sedatives to provide comfort to a dying patient, we risk depressing respirations and causing hypotension, which may hasten death.
1.2 Biology A process in living organisms involving the production of energy, typically with the intake of oxygen and the release of carbon dioxide from the oxidation of complex organic substances.
- Temporal relationships between organic carbon production and respiration are not well understood in coral reef ecosystems.
- Root respiration provides metabolic energy for growth and maintenance of root biomass and for ion transport.
- First, and most obvious, there is the role of respiration in energy metabolism.
Late Middle English: from Latin respiratio(n-), from respirare 'breathe out' (see respire).
Definition of respiration in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.