A charismatic Christian movement seeking to restore the beliefs and practices of the early Church.
- Fundamental to Protestantism as well is the theme of restorationism.
- Christian Zionism is directly connected with the Restorationism movement and owes its intellectual origins to that movement.
- Considered part of the early 19th century Restorationism movement, Joseph Smith attested that he was chosen by God to restore the Church of Christ to a world that had fallen away, resulting in the Great Apostasy.
restorationist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- We know so much, we long for that which we don't know - hence the desire for ‘mystery’ among many young, conservative, restorationist Catholics who hunger for a past idyllic church.
- How is the restorationist movement affecting liturgical renewal?
- As Komonchak has observed, it is wrong to regard Ratzinger as a restorationist in the sense of one who desires to return the church to its preconciliar, neoscholastic days.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of restorationism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.