Definition of restrained in English:
1Characterized by reserve or moderation; unemotional or dispassionate: he had restrained manners
More example sentences
- Despite the presence of a couple of slightly more restrained pieces (including the closing ‘Japan’), Humcrush is packed with incident.
- Bambooque developed his own moderate and restrained form.
- The restrained editing style heightens the intensity and allows greater scrutiny of the characters.
1.1(Of color, clothes, decoration, etc.) understated and subtle; not excessively showy or ornate.
- The restrained colour palette of whites teamed with off-white limestone-effect floors and a range of pale fittings enhances the already powerful sense of natural light.
- He gave his dynamic Futurist paintings a Cubist conception of space, often combined with the extremely restrained colours that characterized the work of Picasso and Braque at this time.
- The same sale yielded another star lot evocative of time and place: a pair of rosewood bedside steps-cabinets with restrained gilt decoration and marble tops.
1.2Kept under control; prevented from freedom of movement or action: a patch of land turned into a restrained wilderness
More example sentences
- Finally, he spoke up once more, his voice broken with restrained tears.
- His performance provides a sober anchor to Kitano's barely restrained jubilation.
- A restrained intimacy thus develops between these two simply because of the circumstances.
1.3(Of a person) held down and back in a vehicle seat by a seat belt.
- Even for adults, side impacts cause the most fatalities to properly restrained passengers.
- Unrestrained passengers had a higher risk of being fatally injured compared to restrained passengers and it was found that seat belts are 55% effective in preventing fatalities.
- Example sentences
- The mostly limestone facades, durable and restrainedly luxurious, are pure emanations of the New York skyscraper vernacular tradition.
- The members of the emergency services were repeatedly but restrainedly commended for doing a fine job.
- ‘Porch’ starts restrainedly, with vibes gradually added to the group's intricate interplay, but tension builds until the piece explodes in a carefully modulated hailstorm of guitar strafings and thunderous drumming.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan