- 1Characterized by reserve or moderation; unemotional or dispassionate: he had restrained mannersMore example sentences
- Despite the presence of a couple of slightly more restrained pieces (including the closing ‘Japan’), Humcrush is packed with incident.
- Bambooque developed his own moderate and restrained form.
- The restrained editing style heightens the intensity and allows greater scrutiny of the characters.
- 1.1(Of color, clothes, decoration, etc.) understated and subtle; not excessively showy or ornate.More example sentences
- The restrained colour palette of whites teamed with off-white limestone-effect floors and a range of pale fittings enhances the already powerful sense of natural light.
- He gave his dynamic Futurist paintings a Cubist conception of space, often combined with the extremely restrained colours that characterized the work of Picasso and Braque at this time.
- The same sale yielded another star lot evocative of time and place: a pair of rosewood bedside steps-cabinets with restrained gilt decoration and marble tops.
- 1.2Kept under control; prevented from freedom of movement or action: a patch of land turned into a restrained wildernessMore example sentences
- Finally, he spoke up once more, his voice broken with restrained tears.
- His performance provides a sober anchor to Kitano's barely restrained jubilation.
- A restrained intimacy thus develops between these two simply because of the circumstances.
- 1.3(Of a person) held down and back in a vehicle seat by a seat belt.More example sentences
- Even for adults, side impacts cause the most fatalities to properly restrained passengers.
- Unrestrained passengers had a higher risk of being fatally injured compared to restrained passengers and it was found that seat belts are 55% effective in preventing fatalities.
- More example sentences
- The mostly limestone facades, durable and restrainedly luxurious, are pure emanations of the New York skyscraper vernacular tradition.
- The members of the emergency services were repeatedly but restrainedly commended for doing a fine job.
- ‘Porch’ starts restrainedly, with vibes gradually added to the group's intricate interplay, but tension builds until the piece explodes in a carefully modulated hailstorm of guitar strafings and thunderous drumming.