Definition of retainer in English:
1.1An appliance for keeping a loose tooth, an orthodontic prosthesis, or orthodontically aligned teeth in place.
- After I hung up with Dan, I changed into sleep clothes as I called them, brushed my teeth, put my retainer on, and snuggled under the three down comforters.
- I rolled out of bed at six and shuffled to the bathroom to brush my teeth, clean and put away my retainers, and wash my face in a pitiful attempt to wake up.
- He looks even better now with that single bang of silver from his retainer, gliding beautifully over pristine white teeth.
2A fee paid in advance to someone, especially an attorney, in order to secure or keep their services when required.
- The annual fee of $2,500 is a bargain when compared to the monthly retainer plus commission required for full representation.
- Brian Bennett, financial recruitment consultant with HRM Recruitment Group, said some banks paid retainers or completion bonuses to get employees to finish a project.
- And on the corporate side, it acts as broker or adviser to more than 100 smaller companies, each of which pays the broker an annual retainer plus fee income on corporate finance deals.
3A servant or follower of a noble or wealthy person, especially one that has worked for a person or family for a long time.
- The realization that others did not love Father as his family and retainers clearly did was a slow one coming to Johnny.
- Koizumi was born in Shizuoka as the son of a former retainer of the Tokugawa family which had ruled Japan with an iron fist until the last Shogun Tokugawa Yoshinobu resigned in 1867.
- The lift-house was manned: a family retainer had taken the place of the liftman.
Words that rhyme with retainerabstainer, arcana, campaigner, Cana, caner, cantilena, complainer, container, detainer, drainer, entertainer, explainer, Gaenor, gainer, Gaynor, grainer, Jena, Lena, maintainer, Marlene, N'Djamena, obtainer, ordainer, planar, planer, profaner, Rayner, scena, seiner, Sinn Feiner, strainer, sustainer, trainer, uniplanar
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan