- 1The action of returning a military attack; counterattack: the bombings are believed to be in retaliation for the trial of 15 suspectsMore example sentences
- Hakimullah Mehsud, an aide of Pakistan's Taliban chief, Baitullah Mehsud, said the attack was retaliation for the operations in Swat.
- The civilian minority ' empowered ' by you will require heavy US military protection to withstand retaliation.
- The insurgent terrorists have launched a day of mayhem across parts of Iraq in retaliation for the assault on Fallujah.
- 1.1The action of harming someone because they have harmed oneself; revenge: protectionism invites retaliationMore example sentences
- They don't want to speak out for fear of losing their business through governmental retaliation.
- The Americans have not executed prisoners in retaliation for assassinations.
- Hitters dig in, knowing they need not worry about retaliation.