Definition of retribution in English:
- Every fiber of her cried out for revenge, for retribution, for something to let her strike back.
- In that regard, not only did they open themselves up to ethical retribution, but to potential criminal prosecution under both federal and local law.
- The lex talionus, or law of retribution, teaches that the punishment should fit the crime.
- Example sentences
- Whether nature or nurture, a common point was the change in attitudes regarding the purpose of justice, shifting from retributive to reformative intent.
- It is important to note, however, that Brown held that the definition of punishment should not be limited to retributive actions.
- You have distinguished between a restorative form of justice and a retributive form of justice.
- Example sentences
- My own moral intuition wishes that people in general, and law professors in particular, understood retributory bloodlust as a natural human reaction, but one that we should learn to suppress, not to indulge in.
- Blaming the self may allow the perceived deflection of interpersonal hostility and result in a shield against retributory threat from the external environment.
- In the principles of justice, the concept of retributory justice is important to the victims and the society.
Late Middle English (also in the sense 'recompense for merit or a service'): from late Latin retributio(n-), from retribut- 'assigned again', from the verb retribuere, from re- 'back' + tribuere 'assign'.
Words that rhyme with retributionablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.