Definition of retribution in English:
- Every fiber of her cried out for revenge, for retribution, for something to let her strike back.
- In that regard, not only did they open themselves up to ethical retribution, but to potential criminal prosecution under both federal and local law.
- The lex talionus, or law of retribution, teaches that the punishment should fit the crime.
late Middle English (also in the sense 'recompense for merit or a service'): from late Latin retributio(n-), from retribut- 'assigned again', from the verb retribuere, from re- 'back' + tribuere 'assign'.
- Example sentences
- Whether nature or nurture, a common point was the change in attitudes regarding the purpose of justice, shifting from retributive to reformative intent.
- It is important to note, however, that Brown held that the definition of punishment should not be limited to retributive actions.
- You have distinguished between a restorative form of justice and a retributive form of justice.
- Example sentences
- My own moral intuition wishes that people in general, and law professors in particular, understood retributory bloodlust as a natural human reaction, but one that we should learn to suppress, not to indulge in.
- Blaming the self may allow the perceived deflection of interpersonal hostility and result in a shield against retributory threat from the external environment.
- In the principles of justice, the concept of retributory justice is important to the victims and the society.
Words that rhyme with retributionablution, absolution, allocution, attribution, circumlocution, circumvolution, Confucian, constitution, contribution, convolution, counter-revolution, destitution, dilution, diminution, distribution, electrocution, elocution, evolution, execution, institution, interlocution, irresolution, Lilliputian, locution, perlocution, persecution, pollution, prosecution, prostitution, restitution, Rosicrucian, solution, substitution, volution
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.