Definition of retrieval in English:
1The process of getting something back from somewhere: the investigation was completed after the retrieval of plane wreckage
More example sentences
- Today, we are inundated with so much data in so many formats, that, even though retrieval is theoretically easier, it can still be difficult to develop a truly useful project archive.
- The impact of her words, now beyond retrieval, spread out in slow motion to fill the moment.
- Woody was involved in retrieval of a bag from a parked vehicle, for which he was paid £60.
1.1The obtaining or consulting of material stored in a computer system.
- A search engine optimizes the retrieval process by indexing.
- A library user is presented with an array of other online and CD-ROM products, some offering abstracts or full-text retrieval.
- Documents are bulk-processed and, then, loaded into a large online database for storage and retrieval.
Definition of retrieval in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan