- The Bandai-published remake delivers the best of both ages, making over retro robot designs with flashy modern animation.
- They make music that, though heavily steeped in the past, is neither cold nor regular nor retro.
- The resulting song feels overproduced and too distinctly current, and temporarily hinders the album's retro charm.
nounBack to top
- A ‘Top Ten’ for 2004 is tough, so I've come up with a top ten of best viewing experiences, some being retros seen again or for the first time - no real order.
- The shoes that are retros now were once the newest thing.
1960s: from French rétro, abbreviation of rétrograde 'retrograde'.
The fashion term retro is from French rétro, an abbreviation of rétrograde ‘retrograde’ (Late Middle English). This was originally a term in astronomy referring to planets appearing to move in a direction from east to west. It comes from Latin retrogradus, from retro ‘backwards’ and gradus ‘step’. Retro- is also the source of words such as retrospect (early 17th century) from Latin retrospicere ‘look back’ and rear ‘back part’. This was first used as a military term from French arrière ‘behind’, which came from retro. The phrase th'arrear ‘the back’ was mis-analysed as ‘the rear’ and the ‘a’ at the beginning of the word dropped. It was used colloquially to mean ‘buttocks’ from the late 18th century. The other rear,’ to raise up’ and its close relative rise, both Old English, come from an Germanic root, with raise, a Middle English introduction from Old Norse coming from the same source.
Words that rhyme with retrometro
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.