Definition of retry in English:
verb (retries, retrying, retried)
1 [with object] Law Try (a defendant or case) again.
- Because the verdict was critically tainted, it ordered that the defendant be retried.
- The Appeals Chamber may dismiss the appeal, or acquit the appellant, or order that the accused be retried, or change the sentence.
- Seven months later, the accused was retried and found guilty as charged.
2 [no object] Computing Re-enter a command, especially differently because one has made an error the first time.
- Since Cleanfeed gives a ‘not found’ error, people visiting the sites are going to assume that it was an error and probably retry at least once.
- The browser will then ask the user to retry their user name and password.
- Try shutting them down one at a time, and retrying your install.
2.1(Of a system) transmit data again because the first attempt was unsuccessful.
- If you insert a CD and choose Retry, it will retry as if nothing had gone wrong.
- Few messages were rejected during the import process; those that were simply were retried by the source SMTP servers.
- In addition, the servers ship with a tool that will retry failed instructions immediately, taking away the need to flush and rebuild software buffers.
nounBack to top
An instance of re-entering a command or retransmitting data.
- By using the redundant drive, time wasting retries can be eliminated by enabling real-time correction on the controller for failed or slow responding disks.
- If, for instance, a message cannot be delivered, it is scheduled to be delivered later, without immediately initiating a continuous retry.
- Key factors they published were time to connect, average number of retries, number of unexpected disconnects, download speeds for a range of file sizes, and so on.
Definition of retry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan