- 1Give a compliment in return for another.More example sentences
- Paul compliments me on my dancing and I return the compliment: ‘well, that was a great groove.’
- 1.1Retaliate or respond in kind.More example sentences
- There's no chance of them doing me any favours, so I have every intention of returning the compliment if I get the chance.
- At the welcome party local schoolchildren performed a concert much to the appreciation of the Bolivians, who in turn returned the compliment by performing a number of musical pieces.
- I was invited to their school and I returned the compliment by inviting them to the Commons.
More definitions of return the complimentDefinition of return the compliment in:
- The British & World English dictionary