- A tariff imposed principally to raise government revenue rather than to protect domestic industries.More example sentences
- He has special contempt for those free traders who would argue for the substitution of a protective tariff with a revenue tariff.
- The specter of renewed conflict led Southern members of both parties to support a moderate revenue tariff with incidental protection as a way to diversify the Southern economy, particularly in the older seaboard states.
- Even the most ardent free traders in the cotton states expressed hopes that a Confederate revenue tariff would provide incidental protection against Northern goods.
More definitions of revenue tariffDefinition of revenue tariff in:
- The British & World English dictionary