Definition of rewire in English:
Provide (an appliance, building, or vehicle) with new electric wiring.
- Lamps and electric appliances are rewired and repaired.
- Potts says his company is currently involved in rewiring a building that had a new VDV system installed just four years ago because the design didn't include future growth considerations.
- A further £150,000 has gone on rewiring the whole house, stripping modern sockets and switches from the ancient walls and replacing them with period counterparts.
nounBack to top
[in singular] An instance of rewiring something.
- Move the outlets to more functional positions and you can use the old outlets during the rewire, then switch systems seamlessly.
- A huge revamp entailed a full rewire, replumbing and central heating on the upper two floors so it can open all year round.
Definition of rewire in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan