(also rhesus macaque)
- A small brown macaque with red skin on the face and rump, native to southern Asia. It is often kept in captivity and is widely used in medical research.
More example sentences
- Macaca mulatta, family Cercopithecidae
- To better understand how taste perception may vary among humans and apes, we sequenced the T2R gene repertoires of a human and all extant ape species (chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, orangutan) as well as a rhesus macaque and a baboon.
- Concentrations of relaxin in the plasma of the human, the rhesus monkey, and the marmoset during the peri-implantation period implicate relaxin as being involved in this critical period of feto-maternal interaction in these species.
- Research on a fellow primate, the rhesus monkey, reveals a gender gap in spatial cognition, but one that it is easily overcome with training.
early 19th century: modern Latin rhesus, arbitrary use of Latin Rhesus (from Greek Rhēsos, the name of a mythical king of Thrace).
More definitions of rhesus monkeyDefinition of rhesus monkey in:
- The British & World English dictionary