(also rhesus macaque)
Definition of rhesus monkey in English:
A small brown macaque with red skin on the face and rump, native to southern Asia. It is often kept in captivity and is widely used in medical research.
- Macaca mulatta, family Cercopithecidae
- To better understand how taste perception may vary among humans and apes, we sequenced the T2R gene repertoires of a human and all extant ape species (chimpanzee, bonobo, gorilla, orangutan) as well as a rhesus macaque and a baboon.
- Concentrations of relaxin in the plasma of the human, the rhesus monkey, and the marmoset during the peri-implantation period implicate relaxin as being involved in this critical period of feto-maternal interaction in these species.
- Research on a fellow primate, the rhesus monkey, reveals a gender gap in spatial cognition, but one that it is easily overcome with training.
Definition of rhesus monkey in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India