- A long narrow inlet formed by the partial submergence of a river valley.More example sentences
- Due to their nature, the rias or estuaries contain very peculiar ecosystems which often contain important amounts of fish.
- The beaches that lie in some of the more protected rias have a warmer sea than those which are exposed, although water temperatures in Galicia never reach the heights found in the south of Spain.
- Everyone in the busy tapas bar I ventured into was tucking into heaped platefuls of pulpo, Galicia's ‘national’ dish, scallops and tasty, but tough-to-open percebes, unique to the rias.
late 19th century: from Spanish ría 'estuary'.
More definitions of RIADefinition of ria in:
- The British & World English dictionary