A fixed grimace or grin: Ned’s smile had become a rictus of repulsion
More example sentences
- But once you've got the joke, it becomes repetitive and, despite the presence of seemingly every comic actor from Leslie Phillips to Mackenzie Crook, laughter is replaced by a rictus grin.
- Enrique's face is twisted into a rictus grin, and he lets out the unmistakable chortle of sheer psychotic derangement.
- One young acolyte has such a rictus from grinning at his master's jokes that it looks like a physical affliction.
- Example sentences
- Myiobius also has the long rictal bristles and erythrurus has the rufous tail found in Onychorhynchus and Cnipodectes.
- Incongruously, Myrmothera was separated from Grallaria and Thamnocharis on the basis of the absence of rictal bristles; but Hylopezus, which also lacks rictal bristles, was included in Grallaria.
- Of those, two were skeletal, seven were based on plumage or soft-part colors, and five dealt with tarsal scutellations, rictal bristles, and egg color.
Early 19th century: from Latin, literally 'open mouth', from rict- 'gaped', from the verb ringi.
Words that rhyme with rictusBenedictus, ictus
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.