(also ridley turtle)
noun (plural ridleys)
A small turtle of tropical seas.
- Genus Lepidochelys, family Cheloniidae: Kemp’s ridley (L. kempi) of the Atlantic, and the larger olive ridley (L. olivacea) of the Pacific
More example sentences
- In the last five years, nests also have been documented for the rare Kemp's ridley and leatherback sea turtles.
- Like all species of sea turtle, the Kemp's ridley possesses temperature-dependent sex determination which has the potential of producing biased sex ratios.
- Among sea turtles, Kemp's ridleys hide their nests the best.
late 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of ridleyDefinition of ridley in:
- The British & World English dictionary