(also ridley turtle)
Definition of ridley in English:
noun (plural ridleys)
A small turtle of tropical seas.
- Genus Lepidochelys, family Cheloniidae: Kemp’s ridley (L. kempi) of the Atlantic, and the larger olive ridley (L. olivacea) of the Pacific
- In the last five years, nests also have been documented for the rare Kemp's ridley and leatherback sea turtles.
- Like all species of sea turtle, the Kemp's ridley possesses temperature-dependent sex determination which has the potential of producing biased sex ratios.
- Among sea turtles, Kemp's ridleys hide their nests the best.
Late 19th century: of unknown origin.
Definition of ridley in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.