- 1The system of ropes, cables, or chains employed to support a ship’s masts ( standing rigging) and to control or set the yards and sails ( running rigging).More example sentences
- Most spectacular were the bone models of men-at-war ships whose rigging was made of human hair and sails of paper.
- As we waited in the queue on the wharf, my first impression was of the tremendous amount of rope involved in supporting the rigging and in controlling the set of the sails.
- We descended through the intact rigging on the main mast until we hit the main deck at about 25m.
- 2The ropes and wires supporting the structure of an airship, biplane, hang glider, or parachute.More example sentences
- The crew held on to the rigging lines of his parachute as he crawled along the wing towards the fire, making holes in the wing with his hands and feet.
- His feet became entangled in the parachute's rigging lines and he began spiralling downward, head first.
- Ed chopped off a section of the keel from my Airwave K4 just behind the rear rigging wires to allow room for the prop.
- 2.1The system of cables and fittings controlling the flight surfaces and engines of an aircraft.More example sentences
- The Safety Board concluded that the incorrect rigging wasn't a significant factor on the preceding flights because weight and balance on those flights were well within limits.
- The ground crew would stay beneath the aircraft at this time, ensuring the rigging didn't get tangled.
- The racer was originally built with two parallel interplane wing struts and these were replaced with single rigid I struts but even these did not solve the rigging problems.
- 2.2The action of assembling and adjusting rigging.More example sentences
- It has a large grassy rigging and take off area suitable for scores of gliders.
- A few minor problems were encountered with one R - 2600 and some rigging issues had to be corrected, otherwise it was a text book perfect flight.
More definitions of riggingDefinition of rigging in:
- The British & World English dictionary