The side of something, especially a garment or fabric, intended to be uppermost or foremost; the better or usable side of something.
- It should never be wasted or thrown away and should always be placed on the table right side up.
- To close up the vest, bring the vest fabric right sides together at the side seams, matching the line of the armhole seam and the lower edge seam.
- On the armhole seams, I sewed them as usual, setting in the sleeves to the garment, right sides together.
on the right side of
- On the safe, appropriate, or desirable side of: her portrayal of his neurotic wife falls just on the right side of caricatureMore example sentences
- This club is making strides, and it won't be long until they finish on the right side of 81.
- Couple this concept with pervasive Internet access, and we move further towards a hyperreal society, at least for those of us on the right side of the digital divide.
- Some fine day, Democrats may figure out how to get on the right side of the value divide - how to define America as a place of the common good and not a playground of the strong.
- 1.1In a position to be viewed with favor by: he hasn’t always remained on the right side of the lawMore example sentences
- Sex can't possibly bear all those burdens, and in a country that respects sexual freedom, we shouldn't have to pretend that it does to remain on the right side of the law.
- Sadly, it appears that in Russia, staying on the right side of the Kremlin counts for more than staying on the right side of the law.
- Targeted distributors complained that they had been operating in the open for years, assuming their disclaimers of illegal intent were enough to keep them on the right side of the law.
- 1.2Somewhat less than (a specified age): she’s on the right side of fortyMore example sentences
- Will it be lineage, caste and community politics or being on the right side of thirty?
- He is just about on the right side of 30 but he looks like he could go on for years yet.
right side out
- With the side intended to be seen or used uppermost: turn the skirt right side outMore example sentences
- Press the seam open, then turn the skirt right side out.
- Reach in through the open side seam to pull the front right side out.
- Pin, and then machine stitch the ends together with a a 5/8-inch seam allowance to make a loop you will turn right side out.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.