noun(also rime ice)
1Frost formed on cold objects by the rapid freezing of water vapor in cloud or fog.
- A mix of clear ice and rime ice is formed when droplets vary in size or when snow, various-sized droplets and ice pellets make up the mix that is hitting the plane.
- Pelchat was 500 feet north of the summit when he noticed an oddly straight piece of rime ice standing five feet off the trail.
- For the first time in several minutes, I looked up from the instruments and saw rime ice on our windscreen.
1.1 literary Hoarfrost.
- Hector noticed spicules of rime adorning the packing-case shelves like fluffy moulds and hoar on his own beard.
- He drew a long breath, followed by a longer sigh, then he nodded once, walked out into the great cavern, and vanished, leaving a thick rime of frost on the floor where he had stood.
verb[with object] literary Back to top
Cover (an object) with hoarfrost: he does not brush away the frost that rimes his beard
More example sentences
- There was absolutely no possibility of going outside; the deck was coated in slippery ice, and frost rimed the rails and icicles hung down like brilliant daggers from the overhanging bridge.
- The trees were rimed with frost and there was a stillness over the land that only came with extreme cold.
- It was a little room with racks of scrolls covering a wall, a low desk with a pair of capacious beanbag-style cushions, a single grubby little glazed window rimed with frost and - most welcome - a fire in the potbelly stove.
Words that rhyme with rimebegrime, Chaim, chime, climb, clime, crime, dime, grime, half-time, I'm, lime, mime, mistime, part-time, prime, rhyme, slime, sublime, sub-prime, thyme, time
Archaic spelling of rhyme.
- Then reading instruction programs that emphasize onsets and rimes should be better than those that emphasize phonemes or whole words.
- A single stanza, perhaps the first, makes an excellent introduction to prayer or rimes of meditation.
- He was a playful man, so his way of talking was in riddles and rimes and he was poetic as well.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan