Definition of rind in English:
1The tough outer layer of something, in particular.
- More than that, the paint acts as a kind of cover, a rind conserving a long history of previous touches that contribute a certain nubbiness, flecked with little crevices, to the final coating.
- After a few rounds of heating and pickling in acid the silver would be brought to the surface of the coin in a thin rind, and give the coin a brilliant silvery appearance.
1.1The tough outer skin of certain fruit, especially citrus fruit.
- This deliciously deep fried pastry has dates, orange and lemon extract, anisette, chopped nuts, orange rind, and lemon rind.
- Think of perfectly ripened pineapple chunks, minus the labor of carving away the tough rind.
- Traditional additions to such a risotto would include finely grated lemon rind, and freshly picked peas with lots of black pepper.
1.2The hard outer edge of cheese or bacon, usually removed before eating.
- Remove the rinds from the bacon and chop it finely.
- Among the other varieties with natural rinds are semi-hard cheeses like British farmhouse Cheddar, Cheshire and Gloucester.
- The yucca root is often served with pork rind and greens and sold at roadside stands.
1.3The bark of a tree or plant.
- It grows in coppices or clumps near or on the banks of rivers and creeks: many stems usually arise from a root,… and are covered with several barks or rinds the last of which being of a cinereous dirt color and very thin.
- Cinnamon is actually the dried tree bark from young branches, separated from the cork and outer rind.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Example sentences
- And his succulent sausages and lip-smacking rindless unsmoked back bacon have stimulated taste buds in Cuba, where British meat products are banned.
- His sausages and rindless, unsmoked back bacon have proved a sizzling success in Cuba, where British meat products are banned.
- Egmont is a semi-hard rindless cheese, designed to fit a balance between Gouda and Cheddar.
Words that rhyme with rindaffined, behind, bind, blind, find, hind, humankind, interwind, kind, mankind, mind, nonaligned, resigned, unaligned, unassigned, unconfined, undefined, undersigned, undesigned, unlined, unrefined, unsigned, wynd
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.