Definition of ring main in English:
1An electrical supply serving a series of consumers and returning to the original source, so that each consumer has an alternative path in the event of a failure.
- He said the new machine would bring significant advantages to people living close to the ring main which circles the city.
- Consumers will benefit from the new gas ring main linking Galway and Limerick to the grid while the Government has decided to extend the gas network to the north west.
- Contractors are working round the ring mains, which vaguely follows the Bradford Ring Road, in an anti-clockwise direction.
2An arrangement of pipes forming a closed loop into which steam, water, or sewage may be fed and whose points of draw-off are supplied by flow from two directions.
- The Trust installed a ring main and new water tanks at a cost of £100,000.
- Work on the Channel Tunnel itself, on the ring main for London's water, and on the Jubilee Line extension, happened out of sight.
- The average cost of the road is expected to be in the region of £750,000 per km of the 3.9km road, with an additional £800,000 for a new river crossing and £350,000 foul water ring main (drainage).
Definition of ring main in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.