(also ring ousel)
Definition of ring ouzel in English:
A European thrush that resembles a blackbird with a white crescent across the breast, inhabiting upland moors and mountainous country.
- Turdus torquatus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
- Unlike the blackbird, the ring ouzel is usually wary and wild, shunning the neighbourhood of human habitation.
- Other species such as the wheatear, ring ouzel, and sandwich tern have all been observed about one week earlier than usual.
- Similarly I can recall seeing blackcock, grouse, ring ousel and merlin on Exmoor until the mid sixties.
Definition of ring ouzel in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan