(also ring ousel)
A European thrush that resembles a blackbird with a white crescent across the breast, inhabiting upland moors and mountainous country.
- Turdus torquatus, subfamily Turdinae, family Muscicapidae
More example sentences
- Unlike the blackbird, the ring ouzel is usually wary and wild, shunning the neighbourhood of human habitation.
- Other species such as the wheatear, ring ouzel, and sandwich tern have all been observed about one week earlier than usual.
- Similarly I can recall seeing blackcock, grouse, ring ousel and merlin on Exmoor until the mid sixties.
Definition of ring ouzel in:
- The British & World English dictionary