noun (plural ripienos or ripieni /-nē/)[usually as modifier] Music
- The body of instruments accompanying the concertino in baroque concerto music: the concertino is accompanied by ripieno stringsMore example sentences
- It is more baroque than the first in that for obbligato piano it substitutes real interchange between ripieno strings and concertino quartet.
- The distinction between the solo violin and the ripieno violins is also reduced as there is much less tonal distinction between them.
- A 5-voice ensemble of vocalists is contrasted with a ripieno group of twice as many voices.
early 18th century (in the sense 'supplementary'): from Italian, from ri- (expressing intensive force) + pieno 'full'.
More definitions of ripienoDefinition of ripieno in:
- The British & World English dictionary