Loose stone used to form a foundation for a breakwater or other structure.
- Both the pool and its protective lining of stone riprap must be properly sized.
- Therefore, the texture of the bottoms of channels should be made rough with vegetation or riprap, and outlet structures should be properly designed with energy dissipaters.
- A rock and log structure was placed within the riprap and willow structures to improve instream habitat for fish.
verb (ripraps, riprapping, riprapped)[with object]
Strengthen with riprap.
- A creek near the back of the house was riprapped with large chunks of sidewalk that were jackhammered out
- A large section of streambank was riprapped to prevent the landowner's septic system and 20 feet of severely slumping shoreline from washing into the brook.
Mid 19th century (originally US): reduplication of rap1.
Definition of riprap in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.