- 1 [with adjective] A person who habitually gets out of bed at a particular time of the morning: late risers always exasperate early risersMore example sentences
- The habitual early riser laid in bed and slept till almost noon for the first time in her life.
- My aunt is the only early riser of the house, up before first light most mornings, so at least there was coffee already percolating and breakfast being made.
- Phil was an early morning riser and by now had no doubt probably made breakfast.
- 2A vertical section between the treads of a staircase.More example sentences
- In all the houses, suspended straight-flight stairs have treads and risers made of continuous sheets of folded steel with flat steel stringers.
- The more solid platforms and staircase contrast with the lightness of the ribbed enclosure, but the risers of the staircase are left open to maximise views.
- The tread and riser of each step is proportionately different so that consecutive steps require slightly different muscular effort, which Steele thought would reduce fatigue.
- 3A vertical pipe for the upward flow of liquid or gas.More example sentences
- The buried valve allowing them to drain and avoid freezing can allow bacterially contaminated water to be drawn into the riser pipe leading to the hydrant.
- Except for the 3 acres on raised beds with plastic mulch and drip tape, we use two movable aluminum pipe systems with sprinklers on risers to cover the farm.
- Two independent permanent power supplies serve the building with dual risers to each floor.
- 4A low platform on a stage or in an auditorium, used to give greater prominence to a speaker or performer.More example sentences
- A slight stumble going down the risers to leave the stage did not mar the performance at all.
- As the main stage curtain lifted, the tiny singer appeared a top the drum riser, clad in a bright yellow T-shirt that read ‘Halls’ and a pair of black pants adorned with all sorts of silver hardware.
- Bored and not that impressed as the set began to wrap up, I saw the drum riser slowly rose to about 15 feet off the ground.
More definitions of riserDefinition of riser in:
- The British & World English dictionary