1 [with adjective] A person who habitually gets out of bed at a particular time of the morning: late risers always exasperate early risers
More example sentences
- The habitual early riser laid in bed and slept till almost noon for the first time in her life.
- My aunt is the only early riser of the house, up before first light most mornings, so at least there was coffee already percolating and breakfast being made.
- Phil was an early morning riser and by now had no doubt probably made breakfast.
2A vertical section between the treads of a staircase.
- In all the houses, suspended straight-flight stairs have treads and risers made of continuous sheets of folded steel with flat steel stringers.
- The more solid platforms and staircase contrast with the lightness of the ribbed enclosure, but the risers of the staircase are left open to maximise views.
- The tread and riser of each step is proportionately different so that consecutive steps require slightly different muscular effort, which Steele thought would reduce fatigue.
3A vertical pipe for the upward flow of liquid or gas.
- The buried valve allowing them to drain and avoid freezing can allow bacterially contaminated water to be drawn into the riser pipe leading to the hydrant.
- Except for the 3 acres on raised beds with plastic mulch and drip tape, we use two movable aluminum pipe systems with sprinklers on risers to cover the farm.
- Two independent permanent power supplies serve the building with dual risers to each floor.
4A low platform on a stage or in an auditorium, used to give greater prominence to a speaker or performer.
- A slight stumble going down the risers to leave the stage did not mar the performance at all.
- As the main stage curtain lifted, the tiny singer appeared a top the drum riser, clad in a bright yellow T-shirt that read ‘Halls’ and a pair of black pants adorned with all sorts of silver hardware.
- Bored and not that impressed as the set began to wrap up, I saw the drum riser slowly rose to about 15 feet off the ground.
Words that rhyme with riseradviser, chastiser, coryza, despiser, deviser, divisor, Dreiser, Eliza, incisor, Kaiser, Liza, miser, Mount Isa, provisor, reviser, sizer, visor
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of riser in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.