Definition of riverbed in English:
1The bed or channel in which a river flows.
- Whether it is a streak of water flowing down a dry riverbed or a cast shadow disrupting the almost monochrome field is unclear.
- Also, as more water flows, parts of the riverbed break away.
- Once a year, like clockwork, the Old Delhi dam is opened, flooding the dry riverbeds.
1.1The bottom of a river.
- To wedge each post as tight as possible, they had poured loose stones from riverbeds and the rubble of concrete down into each hole and tamped the stones tight with the butt end of the shovel.
- Although the Indians welcomed the new settlers, the discovery of gold in the riverbeds sent the Spaniards into a frenzied search for the coveted nuggets.
- Boulders and small stones were used from the nearby riverbeds in a variety of patterns.
Definition of riverbed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia