Definition of road test in English:
1A test of the performance of a vehicle or engine on the road.
- It's an unusual feeling to get out of a full-sized, heavy-duty crew cab pick-up after a road test and find the old minivan annoyingly cumbersome to park.
- As regular readers will know, I do not believe in writing up road tests on vehicles driven round the block from the local dealership!
- When the time comes every five years or so for these people to buy a new car, they don't trouble themselves with reading road tests, trawling through brochures or comparing prices.
1.1A test of equipment carried out in working conditions: he hopes to present a road test of whiskeys and to debate the various aromas and tastes
More example sentences
- The road tests present a clear-cut demonstration of the possibilities for capacity and economy offered by modern features of locomotive proportioning and design.
- We took the revolutionary BioNav in-car navigation system out for a road test.
1.2A test of a person’s competence in driving a motor vehicle that must be passed in order to get a driver’s license.
- Not to overshadow whatever mood that you're in at this particular moment, but Sunny passed her road test this morning.
- Jaycee hated having to wait to pass her road test until she was sixteen, but it was Michigan law.
- Ian had to go take his road test for his license, but he'd promised to be there later.
verb(road-test) [with object] Back to top
1Test (a vehicle or engine) on the road.
- We may even be road-testing vehicles on similar road conditions for braking power.
- When I'm road-testing a car, I often take it up to Liverpool because it gives me a chance for a long drive.
- They'll also be joined by local personalities who will be road-testing some of the new models at the 2002 show.
1.1Try out (something) in working conditions for review or prior to purchase or release: we road-tested a new laptop computer
More example sentences
- It was road-tested by a Register editor released into the wilds of Essex - he was quickly directed to a nearby hostelry.
- Anyone buying into the extras finds themselves road-testing a technology that is still in a developmental stage.
- The next day I wrote a couple and road-tested them on her in the evening.
Definition of road test in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan