- A large powerful predatory fly that darts out and grabs insect prey on the wing.
More example sentences
- Family Asilidae: many genera
- The nerve toxins immobilize the hapless insect, while the digestive enzymes turn its innards to mush, which the robber fly consumes.
- Grasshoppers here and in other grasslands are readily eaten by both vertebrate and arthropod predators (including robber flies and especially spiders).
More definitions of robber flyDefinition of robber fly in:
- The British & World English dictionary