Definition of rock dove in English:
A mainly gray Old World pigeon that frequents coastal and inland cliffs. It is the ancestor of domestic and feral pigeons.
- Columba livia, family Columbidae
- Along with the raven and the eagle, the rock dove is ‘part of a great trinity of bird symbols for Western civilisation’.
- He's a member of the pigeon family which includes the familiar rock dove, and the common city pigeon, as well as the white-winged dove of the Southwest.
- Characteristic urban species - rock dove, European starling, and house sparrow - are currently absent from Baker Lake.
Definition of rock dove in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan