noun• informal , chiefly North American
- A geologist or amateur collector of mineral specimens.More example sentences
- During these years many mineral collectors and rockhounds spent their summer vacations in the Keweenaw, working the mine dumps for specimens.
- The book is primarily meant for beginning rockhounds, but more advanced collectors not familiar with all parts of Texas will also find it useful.
- Saturday nights were less-intimate gatherings, with the apartment packed with world-class mineral collectors, out-of-town and local curators, bibliophiles, and just plain rockhounds.
- More example sentences
- In 1990, when rockhounding was in the news as potentially harmful to forest lands, the chapter demonstrated to the U.S. Forest Service that collecting and concern for the environment are not mutually exclusive.
- McHugh's other hobbies include golf, bowling, bird watching, and rockhounding.
More definitions of rockhoundDefinition of rockhound in:
- The British & World English dictionary