Definition of rockhound in English:
nouninformal, chiefly North American
A geologist or amateur collector of mineral specimens.
- During these years many mineral collectors and rockhounds spent their summer vacations in the Keweenaw, working the mine dumps for specimens.
- The book is primarily meant for beginning rockhounds, but more advanced collectors not familiar with all parts of Texas will also find it useful.
- Saturday nights were less-intimate gatherings, with the apartment packed with world-class mineral collectors, out-of-town and local curators, bibliophiles, and just plain rockhounds.
- rockhounding noun
- Example sentences
- In 1990, when rockhounding was in the news as potentially harmful to forest lands, the chapter demonstrated to the U.S. Forest Service that collecting and concern for the environment are not mutually exclusive.
- McHugh's other hobbies include golf, bowling, bird watching, and rockhounding.
Definition of rockhound in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.