- Beginning in sixteenth-century England, a distinct criminal culture of rogues, vagabonds, gypsies, beggars, cony-catchers, cutpurses, and prostitutes emerged and flourished.
- In these tales, John may assume the posture of a rogue, naive rascal, or fool when he encounters an oppressive master who reminds him of his limited possibilities on the plantation.
- Before she can marry the prince, she finds herself kidnapped by a gang of rogues led by Vizzini.
- In fact, it's difficult to know whether it's a comedy at all, or just an entertaining movie about likeable rogues.
- He plays the likeable rogue who uses an outlawed method of fishing: blowing the fish out of the water with dynamite.
- With a new actor assaying the role, Dov ceases to be a charming rogue and becomes a bit of a jerk.
- The film describes the hunting down of a rogue elephant in Assam.
- Embarrassed, Nadeem changed the subject to the damage a rogue elephant can do.
- The cheerful officer takes over the station, just as a rogue Minbari warship comes looking for trouble.
- Both sequels are based on Robert Ludlum novels about a rogue CIA super assassin.
- With organic farming, songs from k d lang and some cracking yodelling from our rogue maverick rap star, complaints should only raise a whisper.
- If the inspector finds too many plants with virus, the grower needs to clean up the field by roguing and carrying the diseased plants out of the field.
- Most varieties won't be found in the US and many of the older ones have degenerated from the original because of being raised from seed not properly rogued.
- Most varieties require careful roguing and selection to maintain or improve them.
Mid 16th century (denoting an idle vagrant): probably from Latin rogare 'beg, ask', and related to obsolete slang roger 'vagrant beggar' (many such cant terms were introduced toward the middle of the 16th century).
Words that rhyme with roguebrogue, disembogue, drogue, pirog, pirogue, prorogue, vogue
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.