Definition of role playing in English:
1The acting out of the part of a particular person or character, for example as a technique in training or psychotherapy.
- Staff members train surgical teams using two methods: lectures on concepts and principles, and case studies that involve role-playing in simulated crisis scenarios.
- We went through the rules of engagement and orders for lessons using role-playing scenarios.
- Marks mentioned a tactic in this regard of role playing — she sometimes 'becomes the student' and asks the students to teach her.
1.1 Psychology The unconscious acting out of a particular role in accordance with the perceived expectations of society.
- They assumed invented personae via performances and photographs during the '70s, many of them in backlash against the role-playing conformity expected of women in daily life.
- The layers of role-playing and deception add richness and interest to the characters' interactions and complicate the mystery enjoyably.
- Henry is role-playing to regain the sense of order he has lost when he realizes the futility of the war and his lack of place in it.
2Participation in a role-playing game.
- One friend of ours was complaining one day, saying, "I really like role-playing, and I want to do more of it, but I had to drop out of the game I was in because of my boyfriend."
- The game includes role-playing elements.
- The kids in this, who take their RPG into real life, are not geeks, but intelligent kids who enjoy role-playing.
Definition of role playing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan