Definition of roller skate in English:
Each of a pair of boots, or metal frames attached to shoes, with four or more small wheels, for gliding across a hard surface.
- The four wheels and the metal plate on a roller skate are much heavier than the single blade on an ice skate.
- The softboot skates feel more like a hiking boot than a roller skate.
- He came up with a four-wheel skate with two pairs of wheels side by side, and so the modern four-wheel roller skate was created.
verb[no object] (roller-skate) Back to top
Glide across a hard surface wearing roller skates.
- But whenever I asked if I might do something, roller-skate around the block or play over at a friend's house, she got a distant, weary look.
- I used to roller-skate into the sides of cars.
- But most people become friends because they both like to ride bicycles, go roller-skating or play computer games together.
roller skater noun
- Example sentences
- I'm a roller skater, and when I heard they had skaters, and they were homosexuals, that was it for me.
- There is a lovely video by a Belgian artist that is a collage of pretty much unrelated scenes - roller skaters, girls screaming, clouds darkening a mountain.
- Jumps are more difficult because it's harder to get off the ground, although some world-class roller skaters can turn three revolutions in the air.
roller-skating (also roller skating) noun
- Example sentences
- It is fun to go with your loved one or even your best friend just roller-skating in a nearby park.
- But Cleveland residents like their in-line roller-skating and their baseball.
- In the first, the protagonist is seen in a terry cloth one-piece roller-skating away from the camera on the Seapoint promenade.
Definition of roller skate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia