1Relating to ancient Rome or its empire or people: an old Roman settlement
More example sentences
- England had also been part of the Roman empire, but here Roman culture had been less firmly implanted than in Gaul or Spain.
- As routes to distant places, they were often rather indirect, and, as though to draw attention to the break with the Roman past, sometimes ran parallel to Roman roads but did not use the latter.
- Part of the visible prestige of a great Roman aristocrat had long been the number of people dependent upon him.
3Denoting the alphabet (or any of the letters in it) used for writing Latin, English, and most European languages, developed in ancient Rome.
- Vernacular and academic orthography are therefore often sharply contrasted, the latter having strict conventions for transliterating Arabic into Roman script.
- The obscurity about the major ethnie of Dark Age Scotland was more to do with the fact that the eloquence of their complex sculptured stones was not transliterated into Roman script.
- The Roman system of scripts ran from around 30 bc to ad 600 and was to influence the subsequent history of scripts, with certain elements being periodically revived.
3.1 (roman) (Of type) of a plain upright kind used in ordinary print, especially as distinguished from italic.
- Today's Guardian sports a designer-friendly logo in blue italics and black roman font.
- Baskerville gave his name to the roman typefaces based on his designs in current usage.
- Yeah, I try and make the chapters about three pages long (in word, times new roman font, size 12).
1A citizen or soldier of the ancient Roman Republic or Empire.
- The Romans used the ideas of the Ancient Greeks to implement their own engineering plans.
- With Carthage defeated, the Romans became the most powerful Mediterranean state.
- There can be little doubt that the road network built by the Romans throughout their empire was a major achievement.
3 (roman) Roman type.
- They use contrastive typefaces for distinct purposes, such as bold-face type for headwords, roman for definitions, italics for abbreviated codes and specimen words and phrases, and small capitals for cross-references.
Words that rhyme with RomanBowman, Oklahoman, Oman, omen, showman, showmen, yeoman, yeomen
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Roman in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.